What do we mean by networking? Well, it has nothing to do with the array of computer systems connected to each other using some network protocol. It is all about connecting with other people within and beyond the organization.
In the professional world, networking is critically important if you want to reach new heights in the career.
When you want to get promoted in the same company, you have to establish a fantastic relationship with your boss, colleagues, and your team members.
If you are looking for another opportunity, then you should be in touch with your friends working in other companies or few good recruitment firms.
Statistics says that those who build an excellent network in the professional world grab good jobs than others. They climb the organizational ladder quickly and capture the key positions. Nobody denies the importance of caliber here, but networking gives a boost to the career for sure.
When you build a network, make sure it has a good reach. It means, there has to be the right proportion of depth and spread.
What makes a network effective?
When your aim is to grab exciting career opportunities through networking, it is very much important that you build it well. Here are top ten tips to achieve success.
- Don’t join groups for the sake of joining if you want to use networking to search the job opportunity. Many people commit the mistake of joining groups that do not add any value in their mission. Thus, they don’t get expected results.
- Spend adequate time in research and homework. Look for the groups that are relevant. If there are people who know you personally, then it is good to join such group. You can expect some help in future.
- When you start networking, begin with a small group. Try to be in touch by posting regularly. Comment and likes are important to show that you read the posts of others. It is relatively easy to be active in a closed group than a large, open group.
- Create a profile that describes you the best. If your aim is to use it for professional benefit, then make sure it displays your competency and caliber. People jumble up with personal and professional networking and end up with making pathetic profiles.
- Classify the groups and tag them formal and informal. For job seeking purpose, you should focus on formal groups. Make sure your posts are neutral, balanced and do not show any political inclination. People should perceive you a thoroughly professional person. Show positive attitude and openness in views.
- Try to be focused on your field of profession only. Tag yourself to the groups of like-minded people. For example, if you are banking professional, then the groups you are part with should contain people from the banking industry. Comment on the latest happenings in the banking structure and forward posts that are valuable and important. Remain focused to the subject.
- Since the people in your network are people of high stature, e.g. business leaders, marketing executives, CXO’s, and directors; you should position yourself well. Seek the help of professionals if you can’t handle social media. Nowadays, it is possible to get experts for managing it.
- Do not build social networking from a short-term perspective. Consider it as a tool that is going to work perpetually. You should start it early and work on it continuously so that when you are in need, you reap the benefits. When you help others when they are in crisis, you will get help when you are in a troublesome situation. It is a ‘Give and Take’ relationship always.
- Stay connected by pinging others frequently. When you ping someone, others feel that you remember them. Believe it; the feeling is just awesome. Experts say that those who keep in touch with others get the best benefit of networking. They get the response when they seek it desperately.
- Keep the number of contacts as many as you wish, but manage them well. When you want to leverage networking, quality always matters. Each one in the contact list should be able to extend help if required.
Even if you are not an Internet crazy person, it is very much possible to get the best benefit of keeping a large group of contacts. Don’t think just from the job perspective, but it is a good thing from the professional perspective.
It is like popularizing your profile across the world. When others across with any requirement where you can be fit in; they will contact you. Consistent and regular interaction makes you visible in the virtual world, and visibility is the key to success today.
Share your thoughts and ideas with others and get benefited from their viewpoint. It is a process of mutual development.